of our historical photographs with us . . .
An historic photo of a wharenikau similar to the wharenikau built by Manuka's sons for their parents Mere and Manuka.
To view the construction of a wharenikau at the
Mangatowai site in October 2006 click
Tamati Henare ("Raureti") who originally
purchased the Akatarere Block in the 1930's.
Manuka Henare and mokopuna with Father ("Pateo") Wanders
- one of the Mill Hill priests.
Grandmother Mere and her sons Tamaiti, Rickihana, Wiroa, Mihipo Heremia Henare.
Manuka Mihipo Henare
Te Whare Karakia at Waimahana around 1920. The wairua and remnants remain onsite.
Wedding: Harry Brown and Maria Henare at Mangatowai, (7.1. 59).
wharehui at Mangatowai
The old marae site was closed
off in 1990 by Father Tony Brown of Waitaruke and
Waihora More with over 80 people attended the hui
To access an alphabetical listing of the site content